Learning to deal when life throws you curves!




This is McKayla, my sweet little great-grandaughter.




She and her Mother before they put the helmet on.




McKayla and the doctor during the fitting.





She was so in awe of what they were doing. She's never been this still!






Playing in her playpen yesterday.


I haven't blogged in awhile. Been busy with my great-grandaughter. We are her guardians right now and have had some health issues with her.
A few months ago, during a routine doctors visit, our great-grandaughter, McKayla was told that her head was deformed and would have to go visit a cranial doctor to see about care. They say that it is a result of the way she sleeps and she was also born with some of it. We were so upset! After several visits, they finally decided to put her in a helmet to help reshape her head. She will wear it from 4-6 months before it does it's job.

It's a booger to get on and take off because she's a little wiggle-worm and doesn't want to sit still. It's made of some sort of heavy-duty styrofoam and must be stretched to get on. She must be still or it will hurt her when we put it on. I can't do it without help from my husband. Someone must hold her while it gets put on.

She's such a little trooper! She hardly notices that she's wearing it. It is sort of light-weight. We haven't taken her out in public wearing it yet but I imagine that at church in the morning, we'll be surrounded by people wanting to know ' why and what for'. She only had it on for a few minutes when she reached up and unlached it from her head. The doctor had to attach a long strap to it so she couldn't release it. She's pretty smart! She'll have her first birthday in Feb. I imagine we'll be taking it off for pictures on that day.

Right now, we're on a "break-in" schedule. First day, she wears it for 1/2 hour on and one hour off, second day 1 hour on and 1 off, third day 2 hours on and one off. It doubles everyday tills he is wearing it for 23 hours daily! She even has to nap and sleep in it. It only comes off for baths! It is pretty tight on her head. I'd probably be complaining all over the place if I had to wear one but she's doing really well so far. I'm proud of her.

Being an old softie, I have cried when I see her wearing it. It hides most of her face. I miss patting that little head and rubbing noses with her! I miss her head on my pillow and brushing her hair. I know it could be so much worse but this is a lot to deal with here too!

The doctor warned us that she could damage us while wearing it! If she slams it into our heads, or 'head-butts' us, we could get hurt so we have to learn to carry her below our head line. She also loves to sit and rock hard while in our lap. He said she could damage our chest bones if she hits us hard so now we have to hold her sideways. It's a lot to learn and all but I'm sure we'll get used to it all.

Love on your kids and grandkids and enjoy them. There are so many who have sicknessses. Thank the Lord if you don't have any. She's truly the joy of our life. She has brought us so many blessings. I thank the Lord daily for bringing her into our lives.

3 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Hello, Thank you so much for visiting my blog and entering my first giveaway. I hope you win!
I really appreciate your kind words.

Your great grand daughter is so precious! I'm sure everything will work out and she will be just fine. I'll be praying for her.

Come by and visit anytime.
Have a blessed week.
~Melissa :)

McNew Family said...

Love, love, love your decorating style! Our home burned to the ground nearly 2 years ago and I still can't seem to get back into "decorating" my home! I'm sure it will come. We are also beginning a family again. We now age in children's age from 32 to 3!

Blessings to you and yours,

http://mammadandcrew.blogspot.com/

grannymike said...

Here is a name/voice from the past for you. After catching up with you several years back, I decided to search for you and see if you were on facebook as I had lost your email address. And here I am, where I've been reading your interesting blog about your family and enjoying pictures of your beautiful home. I chose this post on which to leave a comment because our youngest granddaughter, Samantha (just turned 1 in December) had major surgery for metopic craniosynostosis. It was rough going, but now she is doing GREAT. Couple God's healing touch with a child's resiliency, and it is incredible. Your great granddaughter is beautiful. She must keep you young. My comment should give you my email. I would love to hear from you when you have the time. In the meantime, I will visit you here.

Mikell Pruitt Robinson, your old suitemate...